The Outlaw Steel Match scheduled for Saturday, February 23rd has been cancelled due to the approaching inclement weather. Our next scheduled match will be Saturday, March 23rd. We look forward to see everyone there. Until then, try and stay dry!
Click this link to find out What to Expect at a JRGC Outlaw Steel Match
- Matches are open to the public, all ages (under 18 with an adult). ALL skill levels from novices to experienced shooters.
- Matches will be scheduled the 4th Saturday of each month.
- Date: Saturday, February 23, 2019
- Time (EST): Setup-10am; Registration-11am; Safety Briefing-11:45am; Match Starts-12pm
- Cost: Members $5.00 per shooter per firearm, Non-Members $10.00 for first firearm, $5.00 for each firearm after. Juniors free with paid adult.
- Round Count: 25 (or more) per stage.
- 4 to 6 stages depending on how many volunteers come out to help set-up and tear down.
- The 25-Yard, 50-Yard and possibly 100-Yard Range will be unavailable for general member use during this match. The 10-Yard Pistol and 25/50-Yard Range will be available for member use.
- For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or PM us on Facebook.
Outlaw Steel is a speed shooting competition shot from a stationary position at five static steel plates per stage, ranging in size from 10″ round plates to 18×24″ square plates. Outlaw Steel is primarily a pistol and revolver game, but rimfire rifles and pistol-caliber carbines are also allowed, making it ideal for young and new shooters.
Outlaw Steel scoring is simple: Your time is your score. There are five plate targets, with four being primary plates and the fifth being the ‘stop plate’. Each of the primary plates must be hit at least once during each string of fire, followed by the stop plate, which must be hit last to stop the time. Competitors may fire as many rounds as they deem necessary for each string of fire. The best four out of five strings will be counted as the total score for each stage. The total score for all stages will determine the order of finish for final standings.
Each stage is unique in its design and offers a different challenge to the shooter. All courses of fire are shot from a single shooting box. We will have 4 to 6 different stages set up for this match depending on how many volunteers come out to help set-up and tear down.
There is no need for specialized equipment; shoot whatever you have. If shooting a center fire pistol or revolver, the start position is gun holstered, so you’ll need a holster that allows a safe draw. Rimfire shooters start from a low-ready position, so no holster is needed. It’s helpful to have enough magazines to reduce reloading time between strings and keep the match moving along. And, of course, appropriate eye and ear protection is always required while on the range.
Rimfire firearms (rifles and pistols) are to be chambered in .22 caliber only, while centerfire handguns must be chambered in the minimum caliber of .38 Special (9mm). All rounds must travel at a minimum of 750fps. Multiple-projectile and Magnum loads are not permitted.
Steel shooting offers a port of entry to the pistol shooting sports and is an excellent starting place for young or beginner shooters. Regardless of your shooting background or skill level, all shooters walk away smiling after shooting Outlaw Steel matches. This competition provides a level playing field for shooters of all backgrounds.
We encourage you to bring new shooters, inexperienced shooters, young shooters, spouses, children, or any other interested persons regardless of their skill, ability, or equipment. We will make every effort to accommodate anyone who wants to try this exciting shooting sport as long as they can shoot safely.
For more information, email email@example.com or PM us on Facebook.
February 19 Update – Added the 71st Firearm to the raffle draw February 6th! Only need 2 more raffle tickets to sell before #72 gets added to the draw. One additional firearm will be added to the draw for every 20 raffle tickets sold. There are currently 55 firearms in the drawing, more are added as ticket sales increase. Get your raffle ticket soon before you miss any more weekly drawings!